Goals and Objectives
|Description||Establishes and bounds the strategy driving ICAM implementation.|
|Audience||Senior government leaders, agency executives, ICAM program leadership responsible for setting program strategy.|
The FICAM Goals & Objectives identify the aims and outcomes that all Federal agency ICAM programs should contribute toward.
The visual includes four Goals, each with its own Objectives. The Goals are broad, aspirational statements, whereas the Objectives are the more concrete actions that should be taken to meet those Goals.
Goal 1: Strengthen the Federal Government’s information and physical security.
- 1.1 - Ensure that only authorized users can access protected resources
- 1.2 - Enable agencies to establish and manage proven, trusted identities for all system users
- 1.3 - Support the adoption and use of credentials that provide an efficient, secure means of accessing resources
- 1.4 - Monitor user behavior and system security though diagnostics, analytics, and reporting
Goal 2: Enable information sharing and safeguarding within the Federal government and with external partners.
- 2.1 - Automate information discovery and access across the Federal Government in all security domains
- 2.2 - Facilitate external partnerships by aligning ICAM business processes and technical interfaces with partner’s best practices
- 2.3 - Enable interoperability by standardizing information sharing agreements and establishing a common ICAM data architecture across government
Goal 3: Enable agencies to securely deliver mission services to customers.
- 3.1 - Design systems to allow customers frictionless access to information and resources
- 3.2 - Foster trust by building protections for privacy and civil liberties into business processes and technical solutions
Goal 4: Support Federal Government efficiency in information technology.
- 4.1 - Streamline ICAM governance and program management within each agency or department
- 4.2 - Standardize and automate ICAM business processes across the Federal Government
- 4.3 - Establish shared service platforms and reuse or repurpose existing hardware and infrastructure when possible
Background & Key Revisions
The updated Goals & Objectives are to convey not just general cybersecurity goals but how ICAM contributes to that goal’s success. The language was also revised to reflect that ICAM Goals accomplish high level aspirations of the Federal Government, whereas Objectives discuss actionable ways to achieve those goals. Lastly, the ‘compliance’-focused goal has been removed in favor of showing throughout the document how ICAM inherently contributes to Federal compliance.